02 August 2012

To game or not to game...ahh who are we kidding


Okay. I know I was supposed to start posting more this year, and I really haven't done that...yet. The biggest hurdle that I currently have is motivation. I have not had much motivation in the last few years. Mostly since I moved to Corpus Christi. I haven't done much in the way of writing since then. Oh, I have thought of ideas. I have plotted several stories during that time. I have taken world building notes. I have even started working on plans to start up a company to encompass all my plans (see previous two posts). But still I have been having trouble getting myself motivated. So, in an effort to push myself back into writing, I have come up with a plan.

As my friends know, I love fantasy. I love RPGs. And so, I am going to combine my love for RPGs and my desire to write together. I have decided that I am going to play one of these games all the way through and write posts as to what happens in these games as if from the viewpoint of the character. The only thing is is that I am not sure which one to start with (and this is another one of my hurdles I have to contend with, but more on this in a latter post. See, already getting ideas for other posts). So, I have decided to create a poll and ask my loyal readers (or reader, not sure if I have any at all just yet) to help me decide.

I am going to list 5 games to choose from. Some of them I have already played most of the way through (if not all the way). But for this I will be starting with a brand new character. I had contemplated on having you all (or just you) help me with creating the character but I changed my mind. Can't have you making all my decisions now can I. Just follow the link to the poll and vote for your favorite game, or the one you think will give me the most challenge.


I decided to create the poll at Writing.com because I haven't figured out how to make polls on blogger yet (or if I even can, any help would be appreciated for future reference). Right now the games are just for Xbox 360. I will probably add my PS2 games later if I can get it hooked back up. My PC games are mostly for older Windows versions so I am not completely sure how well they will work on Windows 7, but I will test them out and may add later if I can play them. I am still toying with the idea of adding MMORPGs. The thing with them is that they may be harder to do this with as most of them are continuously being added to with new chapters. Though I could just add each chapter to the polls separately.

I will most likely be making these posts on Wednesdays. This will allow me to play the game on Sunday and then give me a couple of days to write out the entry. After I get to the end of the game, I will post a review of the game. It will mostly be my thoughts on the game; likes and dislikes, what I thought could be added to make it better. This is going to help me in other ways also, as I am wanting to program my own games in the future.

Well, that's about it for today. I am going to give the poll at least a week to run and see how many votes I get. You are also welcome to check out some of my shorts I have posted on Writing.com and tell me what you think. You can either leave a comment here or a review at the site. It is easy to make an account there and there is no charge for that. As a bonus for creating an account you will be able to check out thousands of other great writers there and if you get the writing bug the account lets you post up to 10 stories. All for no fee. Just a thought. Write at ya later.

No comments: